Wednesday, August 5, 2009

John John's Stop and Go Inn - Rosendale



I had plans tonight to do some things around the house. Have a few chores that need to be done, but I was driving to lunch and it was such a nice day that I made a phone call and asked Jodi to see if she wanted to go for a ride tonight. I picked her up in Fall River, and we cruised north from there. We made a couple stops and took some pictures, just some interesting things I saw as we were riding, and tried staying off the main roads.
Again, I tended to steer clear of Juneau (still not sure why), but we went north, north east. We drove and chatted, not really paying any attention to where we were and we came up on Hwy26. We went north on 26 til we came up on Hwy151, and here something struck a chord. I knew where I wanted to go tonight.

A few years ago, one of the local taverns (I will review their burger soon) sponsored a bus ride/ticket to a Packers game. While on this trip we ALWAYS stopped in this little out of the way town that nobody other than the bar owner knew where it was. It was a small town called Rosendale. Its kinda between Waupun and Oshkosh. Having been there before I knew this was where I was heading all night.

I told Jodi my plan and she said it sounded OK to her. We pulled in to John John's Stop and Go Inn. There was a few people sitting there, but not too busy. We walked up and sat at the bar and John himself was bartending. Ordering a couple drinks, Jodi made her way to the jukebox and put a couple dollars in. I looked around, and didn't see a grill... thought maybe I was foiled! I was just about ready to mention this to Jodi when I saw the tiny menu posted on the wall in the corner. Burgers, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 lbs. Both kinds of burgers, with and without cheese. I asked him if the grill was open, he kinda gave me a wry smile and turned around to a cabinet sitting on the counter behind him, opened it up, clicked a button and said YEP! When he clicked the button, I heard the thing fire up. He said it was an antique radiant oven. No longer can get parts for it, and not sure what to do if and when it dies. It was smaller than a dorm room size refrigerator.

He warmed the bun on the exterior of this oven, which seemed to do a pretty good job. The burgers themselves were OK. I didn't see John season the meat at all, and it didn't taste like it. I honestly didn't expect them to be as good as they were, seeing how they were made, but for what he had there, John did a pretty good job.

If you happen to find yourself hungry in Rosendale, I would stop in at John John's and say hi to him and try one of these for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment